April 7th, 2020 General Municipal has been postponed until June 2nd, 2020 per Governor Parson’s Executive Order 20-03 declaring a state of emergency in response to COVID-19
- The closing date to register to vote in this election remains March 11th.
- The deadline for filing as a write-in candidate for office remains March 27th at 5 p.m.
- The deadline to apply for an absentee ballot (Section 115.279, RSMo) shall be May 20th.
- In-person absentee ballots may be cast until 5 p.m. on June 1st.
- The deadline by which absentee ballots must be received by the election authority (Section 115.293.1, RSMo) shall be 7 p.m. on June 2nd.
- Military and overseas voters must request a ballot from an election authority by 5 p.m. on May 29th, and the deadline for local election authorities to make ballots available to such voters is April 18. Military and overseas ballots must be received by the election authority by June 5th.
August 4th, 2020 Primary
November 3rd, 2020 General
2020 March Presidential Primary Election Results
Our office is responsible for
- Administering Election Day and Absentee Voting in all county elections.
- Administering financial payment of all county transactions including accounts payables and payroll for county employees.
- Issuing A.T.V. Permits and Auctioneer Licenses for Christian County.
- Keeper of the minutes and public record of the County Commission actions.
- Issuing Notary Commissions
Commission Agendas and Minutes
- $ 15.00 cash or check ONLY
- Need: Make, Model, Year, VIN # Owner’s Name and Address.
- A.T.V. Permits and Auctioneer Licenses are available at the County Clerk’s office.
Notary Public Information
Steps to becoming a Missouri Notary Public
- Read booklet provided by State
- NEW BOOKS ARE NOW AVAILABLE
- Online Book
- Complete mandatory training required by Secretary of State’s Office
- (Each person completing training will be certified and receive a certification number)
- Test Required!
- Click the link above to be taken to the Missouri Secretary of State’s website, where you can take the required training.
- Send completed application to the State.
- (Application is in the booklet – $25.00 fee to State should be included) (certification number should be on application)
- Obtain an insurance bond.
- (This should be done after a letter is received notifying you of your commission dates)
- Sign the Notary ledger in the Clerk’s office, then pick up your certificate
- (The fee is $6.00)
- Obtain your notary stamp and supplies.
- (The County Clerk’s Office does not sell embossers or notary stamps)
Register to Vote
The County Clerk is responsible for all voter registration activities in the county. There are more than 55,000 people registered to vote in Christian County. Several locations are designated as permanent voter registration sites, including schools, libraries, OTC, city halls, and the Historic Courthouse (Room 304).
Please be advised that any time a voter moves from county to county or state to state, that voter will need to re-register to vote in their new county/state of residence. If a voter is already registered and moves to a new residence located in the same county, that voter will need to update their registration, preferably before election day.
The deadline to register to vote prior to any given election is 28 days. Voting in a county or precinct therein that does not represent your current residence on election day is a violation of Missouri statute and is prosecutable by law.
The County Clerk is the election authority for the county and its political subdivisions, and is responsible for conducting all public elections. Regular elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in April, August and November. Special elections may also be called in February or June by certain public entities. Two notices displaying sample ballots and polling locations are published in the local newspaper on the two Wednesdays just prior to each election.
Important Change to Mark Twain National Forest ATV permits
- In prior years these permits could be purchased at Kay’s Country Store in Chadwick.
- Statutes only allow ATV permits to be sold by county or state entities.
- So now, these permits can only be purchased in the Christian County Clerk’s office.
To Obtain a Permit
- Mark Twain National Forest ATV permits are $15.00.
- You can mail a check to the Clerk to receive your permit.
- Send payment with the make, model, year and VIN # along with a contact phone number and the Clerk will mail your permit.